Cheam Bowling Club is a section of Cheam Sports Club, a private club where bowls, cricket, football, hockey, karate, korfball, squash and tennis are played.
Cheam Men's Bowling Club was founded in 1931 and Cheam Ladies Bowling Club in 1964.
On 24th September 1931 there was an informal meeting in the canteen of Cheam Sports Club. Some twenty-
At a meeting on 22nd April 1964 the men agreed to the forming of a ladies section of the bowling club, limited to 24 members. Their activities were subject to the jurisdiction of the men’s section and an annual subscription of 3 guineas per member was to be paid.
From these small beginnings the Club grew from strength to strength and in 1994 the members decided to build a new joint pavilion to replace the two huts that had served as separate men's and ladies' pavilions but were now too small.
The complete pavilion was built by the members in their free time, from the foundations to tiling the roof.
Both the men’s and ladies’ sections play league and friendly games, which include mixed matches. We enter many outside county and national competitions and some of our members have played in the county team and in the England team. Mixed roll up afternoons are always well attended and very enjoyable. There also separate roll up afternoons.